Movie Rantings and Ravings

Monday, January 16, 2006

Golden Globe Reactions

Well, if you read my predictions, you've probably guessed that I'm not too surprised since I got nine out of ten categories correct. Brokeback Mountain over Crash for screenplay certainly was not one I was expecting to miss, though.

My thoughts on each category:

Best Picture - Drama
---------------------
Brokeback Mountain is a good choice. But I also like The Constant Gardener, I will give out my real opinion on this one when I do my personal ballot.

Best Picture - Comedy
----------------------
I would have rather seen The Squid and the Whale win than Walk the Line, but I never thought it would happen. I think Junebug should have been nominated here, but it is just too small.

Best Actor - Drama
-----------------------
I would've been happy with either Phillip Seymour Hoffman or Heath Ledger. I like PSH for his past work so I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition for something. However, I'm not too happy that they snubbed Ralph Fiennes for a nomination.

Best Actress - Drama
-----------------------
To be honest, *none* of the nominees here will make my personal ballot in this category, so I didn't really care. But if I had to pick, I would've gone with Gwynneth Paltrow I suppose. Maria Bello on the other hand, will be making my supporting ballot. If i were forced to put her in lead, then yes, she should've won this.

Best Actor - Comedy
-----------------------
Joaquim Phoenix is a fine choice, although I would've picked Jeff Daniels. Although I think Jeff Daniels actually belongs in the supporting category.

Best Actress - Comedy
-----------------------
Reese Witherspoon isn't a bad choice either. I would've gone with Keira Knightley given the nominees. Again I think Laura Linney should be in supporting so I'm not considering that one.

Best Director
-----------------------
Ang Lee is going to end up on my ballot and he's a good, albeit anticlimatic choice. It might've been nice to get a surprise win from Fernando Meirelles, but I never thought that would happen.

Best Supporting Actor
-----------------------
I don't think George Clooney deserved to win this, and as I said in my prediction post, I think it is a consolation prize. Given the nominees, I would've gone with Matt Dillon.

Best Supporting Actress
-----------------------
I agree with Rachel Weisz 100% here. Although I think they people who did the nominations must have had some severe childhood head traumas considering that they did not nominate Amy Adams.

Best Screenplay
---------------------------
I would've gone with Crash, given the nominees.

============================

So in total (I am only basing this on who was nominated):

Agree: 1 (Best Supporting Actress)
Toss-Up: 3 (Best Picture - Drama, Best Director, Best Actor - Drama)
Disagree: 6 (Best Picture Comedy, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress - Drama, Best Actor - Comedy, Best Actress - Comedy, Best Screenplay)

=============================

Other thoughts:

The absolute best thing of the night? Mary-Louise Parker, from Weeds, beating *all four other nominees from Desperate Housewives*. That was fantastic.

Good Speeches (Movies):
------------------------
George Clooney
Rachel Weisz
Ang Lee

Good Speeches (Television):
----------------------------
Sandra Oh
Hugh Laurie
Steve Carrell
Mary Louise-Parker

The Stumping Hard for Your Oscar Speech
----------------------------------------
"I know as actors our job is usually to shed our skins, but I think as people our job is to become who we really are. And so I would like to salute the men and women who brave ostracism, alienation and a life lived on the margins to become who they really are."

Felicity Huffman -- tributing her award to transexuals, the ostracism they go through, etc. While I think this is admirable, it still is a little contrived. It's people who make speeches like this that end up going on to win the Oscar later. Remember when Jamie Foxx went on every award show, every talk show, talking about his grandma last year? That certainly didn't hurt his chances.

What Did We Learn?
------------------
I don't think anything has the slightest chance in touching Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture or Best Director anymore. Locked, done. Best Actress is a toss-up between Reese Witherspoon and Felicity Huffman. Best Actor is a toss-up between Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Heath Ledger still. Supporting Actress is looking more like Rachel Weisz after all. But I think Michelle Williams could still get it, and maybe even Amy Adams in a shocker. Supporting Actor I still think Paul Giamatti is going to win (with Clooney as a potential consolation prize), even though he lost today. Adapted Screenplay is probably going to be Brokeback Mountain. Original Screenplay could be either Crash or Good Night, and Good Luck with another consolation prize for Clooney.

I think, when the Screen Actors Guild awards come out, the BAFTAs are over and done with, as well as some other awards, the Best Actor and Best Actress category will be a little bit easier to call. The hardest thing is going to be, are they going to give George Clooney a consolation prize, and are they going to give it to him in Screenplay or in Supporting Actor?

1 Comments:

Blogger JW said...

By music do you mean how completely and utterly lame it is to give a "Best Score" and a "Best Song" ? Or just the really awful musical number at the beginning? Well they should change both. Multiple categories (Orchestral, Minimal) for score would be nice... nothing smaller has a chance of winning until they do. Best Song is just... well... they'd have to have so many categories it might as well be the Grammys so that's just wrong. I think they should just stop doing it, period.

Steve's speech was funny. And I am glad that Brokeback Mountain won too, although it's not generating the rabid, irrational doomsday accusations coming from the right-wingers that I'd expect.

8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home