Movie Rantings and Ravings

Monday, January 16, 2006

Thoughts on GG Television, Tape Delayed Airing, and a note to Fox

I normally don't care as much about the television portion of the Golden Globes, but I noticed that they did not even nominate 24, one of my favorite shows, in the best drama category.

Although last night's episode was not eligible (it was, by the way, quite possibly the best season premiere in television history, the only thing that could possibly compare is the premiere of the *first* season), the fourth season which would qualify was still good and I don't agree with their choices.

So, here's my personal TV ballot (Best Television Aired in 2005, which is about what the Globes do, I think, unlike the Emmys, where the cutoff period is sometime in summer):

Best Television Show -- Drama
-----------------------------
24
Deadwood
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Six Feet Under (Winner...R.I.P)

The series finale was just too good to not give it the win. 24 is the runner-up.

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy
------------------------------------------
Arrested Development (Winner)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
Extras
Weeds

Normally I would say CYE gets this but this past season fell a bit in quality. I'm not going to try to predict what's actually going to win, I don't do that for television.

You know though, on a side note, I find it interesting that they are perfectly willing to put a television show which happens to be a drama/comedy mix like Grey's Anatomy in the drama category, when a movie which is even the slightest bit funny but is, in reality, a drama, will end up in the comedy category for sure? Do the producers of the movies and shows decide their own categories?

========================

Why do they have to tape delay the Globes and show them later on the West Coast? Anyone who wants to be surprised has to avoid the internet, and it's just irritating. Oh yeah, and put them on a *Sunday* (not that this affects their poor decision making in the tape delay department, it has always been taped delayed in the past when on Sunday.) Why is it on a Monday anyway, was it because of football?

========================

Fox Network: Do not have the two day, four-hour season premiere of your best show coincide with an awards show many people like to watch. It is a good thing I have DVR, because I can watch the third and fourth hours of 24 on Tuesday, but many people don't, and for a show where missing an episode is an absolute disaster this is just not a good idea.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arrested Development is (was) the best comedy on television, period. You had to watch it several times to get all the jokes. Why a show like this can not make it on TV is completely insane.

8:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fox has a history of nonsensical programming. They have botched and not supported many good shows (see previous anonymous post on Arrested Development and Firefly).

8:21 AM

 
Blogger JW said...

I've heard that they're going to be showing the last four episodes on a Friday night sometime in the near future. A *lot* of people are going to catch that, I'm sure. Let's hope that Showtime or some other network picks it up I suppose. But yes, Fox is terrible. Not that I'm the biggest fan or anything, but their decision to delay Prison Break for three months (and potentially kill the show's audience in the process) is completely mystifying. I didn't know about Firefly at the time it was actually airing so I don't know what Fox did to mess it up, but whatever it is certainly wouldn't be surprising.

2:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home