Movie Rantings and Ravings

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Should the People Be Allowed To Vote?

Ah, the people's choice awards. The time of year when you wonder what kind of brain damage the average person who votes for this kind of things has. Anyway, here is the results with commentary:

The 2006 People's Choice Awards
--------------------------------------

Favorite Female Movie Star

Sandra Bullock ******
Angelina Jolie
Nicole Kidman

-- Considering that I doubt, given the rest of the results, that this voting is based on her cameo performance in Crash, I can only assume this voting comes from her performance in Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous. Do I really even need to comment on this one?

You know, I have a suggestion... why not Rachel McAdams? She's in popular movies that people see.. and she's not completely irritating.

Favorite Male Movie Star

Nicolas Cage
Johnny Depp ******
Samuel L. Jackson

-- Not going to argue too much here, although I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Favorite Leading Lady

Cameron Diaz
Reese Witherspoon ******
Renée Zellweger

-- Again, not going to argue much. But what is the difference between this and favorite movie star?

Favorite Leading Man

Jamie Foxx
Brad Pitt ******
Adam Sandler

-- Teenage girls unite with your voting power!

Favorite Female Action Star

Jennifer Garner ******
Angelina Jolie
Catherine Zeta-Jones

-- Elektra is maybe one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life.

Favorite Male Action Star

Matthew McConaughey ******
Brad Pitt
The Rock

-- Why do people like this guy? And what action movie was he in, exactly?

Favorite On-Screen Match-Up

Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt in Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Chris Rock & Adam Sandler in The Longest Yard
Vince Vaughn & Owen Wilson in Wedding Crashers ******

-- Like, OMG! They didn't vote for Angelina and Brad!

Favorite Movie Comedy

Hitch
The Longest Yard
Wedding Crashers ******

-- Of the choices, sure. But no The 40 Year Old Virgin or Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang? Does any movie Will Smith makes automatically show up here?

Favorite Movie Drama

Batman Begins
Coach Carter
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith ******

-- You've got to be kidding me. I don't even know anybody who actually liked this movie. Not one single person. Where do these people come from?

Favorite Family Movie

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ******
Chicken Little
Madagascar

-- You know, I didn't like this movie, but other people did, so ok, fine. I'm a little surprised it didn't end up being an animated comedy of some kind though.

Favorite Movie

Batman Begins
Hitch
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith ******

-- Again, what is with the Star Wars? This movie was *awful*. Years and years of anticipation for nothing.

Favorite Funny Female Star

Drew Barrymore
Ellen DeGeneres ******
Queen Latifah

-- What movie was she in?

Favorite Funny Male Star

Chris Rock
Adam Sandler ******
Will Smith

-- I haven't seen The Longest Yard, but if I had, I am sure I wouldn't like this one bit. And again, Will Smith! The people really really like Will Smith don't they? What has he ever done that has been the slightest bit good?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't say I dissagree with any of your comments. But, I do have an answer to the Will Smith phenomenom. He's just a likable guy and that goes a long way in that industry. Maybe he appears in annoying movies, but offscreen he has appeal.

10:49 AM

 
Blogger JW said...

It's true. But just because someone is likeable doesn't mean their movie is going to be good. I think I'm a nice person but I'd be a really awful actor. (:

10:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home