Movie Rantings and Ravings

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Plea to the Film Industry

1) Please stop Americanizing perfectly good foreign films. I recently became aware of a film called The Departed, which is a remake of foreign film called Infernal Affairs. Directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Leonardo Dicaprio (Note to M.S.: Please find a different actor to put in your movies. Reusing Robert Deniro worked. Reusing Leonardo Dicaprio does not.) and Matt Damon as a police officer and crime syndicate member who simultaneously infiltrate the other's organization as a mole. While I'm glad that Scorcese is going away from the large, epic, desperate grabs for Oscar attention such as Gangs of New York or The Aviator, he could be doing better work. Although who knows, maybe the remake will be great.

The worst example of Americanizing a movie I can think of is when Cameron Crowe did a remake of Open Your Eyes called Vanilla Sky, starring Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz. The original was a very good movie, the Americanized remake was terrible.

2) Please stop trying to destroy my childhood. There are two movies coming out which particularly disgust me.

The first is Curious George, which I liked as a kid and have no desire to see turned into a movie, thank you.

Additionally, and even worse, is a live action version of Charlotte's Web, starring the girl who must star in every movie requiring a girl of her age, Dakota Fanning. This is wrong on so many levels I don't even want to think about it. Stop, please!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most everything Scorcese touches is golden. The Avaitor is an achivement for both him and DiCaprio.

9:26 AM

 
Blogger JW said...

That's exactly right. *Most* everything Scorcese touches is golden. But *not* the Aviator, *not* Gangs of New York, and certainly *not* Bringing Out the Dead.

Anyway like I said, I am glad he is going away from the epic movie, it simply isn't his style.

10:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re Open Your Eyes vs. Vanilla Sky...yes Open Your Eyes was a much better movie, but do you really think Vanilla Sky was terrible? Or, can you just not get past Mr. Scientology?

11:05 AM

 
Blogger JW said...

Mr. Scientology I can handle. I like "Magnolia" for example. It's just that, in the context of having seen "Open Your Eyes", "Vanilla Sky" *is* terrible in comparison. Because I've seen them both, it is a little hard to separate them. Plus I expect more from Cameron Crowe, personally, although maybe not anymore, after seeing "Elizabethtown".

10:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home