Movie Rantings and Ravings

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Retroactively Relevant

A government passes a wide-ranging anti-terrorism law, allowing among other things, the detention without charges on mere suspicion suspects alleged to be involved in terrorist acts. A bombing occurs. A man has a confession beaten out of him while in prison because of this law, and gets wrongfully convicted. Another innocent man dies in jail. Details of the case are kept secret because of National Security Concerns. The government knows who is responsible and goes after someone else. No major government officials go to jail because of misconduct.

Sound familiar? Yeah, a little. But I'm actually talking about the United Kingdom in the 1970s.

In the Name of the Father 1993 (5/5 stars)

So I've been on a 1990s kick with my non-new release movies on Netflix. I hadn't seen this for a long time so I thought I would again, and it is still very good. It isn't really necessary to do a review, there's enough out there, but it is odd how this reminded me of what has been going on lately (Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo Bay, the Patriot Act, etc.) in the world lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home