Movie Rantings and Ravings

Friday, February 03, 2006

Sundance 2006

I really wish I could go to this. Although it has turned into such a gigantic industry event if I went I would probably 1) get shut out of most of the movies I'd be remotely interested in seeing and 2) have to wait in line for 5 hours to see some horrible movies that I'd end up not liking. Maybe I can find some industry contacts (ha ha ha, sure) that would allow me to be able to actually enjoy one of these things someday.

Anyway, I thought I'd post what films I heard about that looked remotely interesting.

DISCLAIMER: I do not actually endorse these movies as I do not know enough about them! Heh. I think I'm going to be getting more into disclaimers these days, it for some reason seems like something I should do.

They are:

The Science of Sleep

Written and Directed by Michael Gondry, who directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Obviously I'm going to be psyched for this.

Plot Outline: A man held captive by the people in his dreams tries to wake himself up and take control of his own imaginings.


Little Miss Sunshine

This one received a lot of praise and buzz apparently. It's got a good ensemble cast, and apparently was made before Steve Carell got famous. Should be interesting.

Plot Outline: A family determined to get their young daughter into the finals of a beauty pageant take a cross-country trip in their VW bus


Wristcutters: A Love Story

I heard some *extremely* high praise for this one, I am at least intrigued.

Plot Outline: A film set in a strange afterlife way station that has been reserved for people who have committed suicide.


Factotum

A movie based on a Charlies Bukowski book? Hmmmmmm. Lots of people in the cast.

Plot Outline: This drama centers on a jack-of-all-trades who wanders around St. Paul, MN trying to live off jobs which don't interfere with his primary interests - women, drinking, gambling and writing.


This Film Is Not Yet Rated

A documentary based on the bizarre ratings system of the Motion Picture Association of America. Should be fascinating for the movie freak.


Thank You For Smoking

Interested cast, interesting (wacky) subject matter.

Plot Outline: Satirical comedy follows the machinations of Big Tobacco's chief spokesman, Nick Naylor, who spins on behalf of cigarettes while trying to remain a role model for his twelve-year-old son.


And, just because they're the winners:

The documentary prize winner:
God Grew Tired Of Us

Plot Outline: Four boys from Sudan embark on a journey to America after years of wandering Sub-Saharan Africa in search of safety.


The dramatic prize winner:
QuinceaƱera

Plot Outline: As Magdalena's 15th birthday approaches, her simple, blissful life is complicated by the discovery that she's pregnant. Kicked out of her house, she finds a new family with her great-granduncle and gay cousin.


I wish I knew how these prizes were awarded though. Last year I know The Squid and the Whale won writing and directing prizes, while Amy Adams won a special acting award for Junebug, putting both of these movies on the map. I haven't heard the results of anything but the dramatic and documentary prize so far, and (I think) everything is over now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the summary. These all sounds interesting. When I saw the trailer for "Thank You for Not Smoking" I thought it was a paid anti-smoking commercial...that really looks interesting.

10:52 AM

 
Blogger JW said...

Yeah... might be worth checking out. We'll see I suppose whenever it is closer to release.

11:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home