Movie Rantings and Ravings

Friday, January 27, 2006

The Last Scenes

Well, I saw Caché so now I am done with last year's movies at last.

The desription is deceptively simple: a couple are sent a videotape of somebody taping their house and they do not realize why. The culprit continues to send them videotapes, and by noticing a detail in one of the tapes the man recognizes someone from his past who may be responsible. Havoc ensues. There is much exploration of guilt, lying, revenge, and resentment between the players.

I'm not going to do a full review, but I will say that I liked it, it is a gripping thriller with very unnerving direction and style. The actual shots of the film are so close in style to the presentation of the videotapes that at times you aren't even sure if what you are watching is a recording until later in the movie. The reason why I don't comment more is that I am so perplexed and baffled by the ending that I'm not really sure exactly what I saw. This is something that I'm going to have to watch again later and contemplate more. Something definitely worthing seeing, but be sure to pay very close attention to the last two scenes (the first a shot of the house where one of the main characters grew up, the last the shot of the steps of a school). Pay attention especially to the last scene, if you notice something very key, will make you wonder if everything you thought about what happened in the movie was completely wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home