Movie Rantings and Ravings

Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Bad Romantic Comedy

The Break-Up (1.5/5 stars)

You know, despite the bad reviews, I went into this with an open mind considering the positive reception I've heard from people I know who have seen it. I have to say though, that I simply didn't enjoy it at all.

I found the comedy very flat, and didn't really care for the more serious parts because frankly I just didn't like almost all of the characters. Not to mention that the whole premise of the movie, the relationship's sudden and drastic implosion, is quite implausible; equally implausible is the complete 180 degree personality change that Vince Vaughn's character takes towards the end.

As for the supporting characters, I liked the character that Vincent D'Onofrio played, while I absolutely loathed Aniston's brother. I wanted to smack him. Annoying and not the slightest bit funny.

What surprised me, considering that I don't like her at all, is that Jennifer Aniston isn't even close to what bothered me the most about the movie. Vaughn bugged me a lot more, and more importantly I thought the biggest problems were in the writing. I guess I like my comedies a bit more witty I suppose.

Skip it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home