Movie Rantings and Ravings

Friday, June 09, 2006

The Latest From Pixar

Cars (4/5 stars)

This was a nice little movie. Entertaining and funny thoughout, and some heart and real wit too, which seems to be lacking from most of the purely slapstick based animated comedies that are coming out these days.

The story is simple. A car named Lightning McQueen (voiced by Owen Wilson) is competing in what must be the be-all-end-all car race in the movie's universe, the Piston Cup. He is a rookie and attempting to be the first one to ever win. He is arrogant, selfish, and doesn't think he needs any help from anyone. During the race his foolishness leads him to blow a sure win, and this eventually leads to a three-way tie between him, the kind-hearted reigning champion, and the mean-spirited perennial runner-up. A tie-breaker race is scheduled in a week's time far away in California. The movie really begins here, as Lightning needs to travel to California for the race. On the way he gets waylayed, and ends up in a run-down deserted town called Radiator Springs on Route 66 where he meets a cast of wacky, interesting, and endearing characters. For reasons I won't explain here he must stay in the town for awhile before continuing on to the race. It is here that he learns a little about what is really important and becomes better for it.

While I enjoyed the movie as I said, what I wonder is whether this is really more of a movie for adults than kids. The fact that the protagonists are all, well, cars, doesn't exactly lend itself to the slapstick and other goofy visual humor that I think kids enjoy more out of this sort of thing. Most of the best stuff was in the jokes the little ones wouldn't even get, I think. There is, however, a nice little short that plays before the movie that is exactly what kids would like. I only wish that this sort of thing was done with more movies. It is certainly a lot more interesting than watching 10 minutes of commercials.

This is definitely better than Over the Hedge was, and if you're into animated movies at all, I fully recommend it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been kind of speculating about this ever since Pixar and that type of animated phenom began.

Are these even kid movies?

I really don't think so.

I think kids probably picked up under half of the jokes and innuendo of the Shrek series and so on.

I think back to when I was a kid and seeing those films today - I feel nostalgic but ultimately polarized from them because they're very child-like.

Sad to think that kids today may not be getting the full treatment from the movies targeted them...

It just seems like a really casual decision to make these films more adult-oriented. Shouldn't the adult or parent just be happy taking their kid to the movie? Getting the privilege of spending time with them? I dunno.

:soapbox:

12:17 AM

 
Blogger JW said...

Yeah, it would be nice if some movies were actually made for kids so they could fully enjoy them. However not having kids myself, I am conflicted as I might get to enjoy the more adult natured animated movies more? Who knows. Maybe they could do a little bit of both.

1:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home