Movie Rantings and Ravings

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Cannes Film Festival Results

Well this was another year with another group of "what the?" winners and the two most highly praised movies (Volver, Babel) get lesser awards

Results:

Golden Palm - The Wind That Shakes The Barley (Ken Loach)

Grand Prize of the Jury - Flandres (Bruno Dumont)

Jury Prize - Red Road (Andrea Arnold)

Best Director - Babel (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Best Screenplay - Volver (Pedro Almodóvar)

Best Actor - The Cast of Days of Glory/Indigènes

Best Actress - The Cast of Volver

I was hoping for Babel, or if not that, Volver, to win. They definitely looked the most exciting looking out of any of the competition. They at least got something here, though. Giving the entire cast awards is kind of a cop-out, in my opinion. Finally, Marie-Antionette is shut out, they could have given it a techniacl prize but none was awarded this year. All very bizarre but interesting.

6 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

i too was surprised that volver and babel didn't make the cut...and glad marie-antionette was ignored.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

8:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come Big Mammas house 2 was not at Cannes? I am sick and tired of the media and the Fiction Department ignoring this masterpiece. Note - I have not yet seen Big Mammas House II because I have 2 children and a demanding wife and its a bit difficult to leave them all for a couple of hours. But, I did see the first Big Mammas House. I still quote lines from that movie - one of the best films of all time. BMH2 has to be twice as good, if I have my math correct.

8:32 PM

 
Blogger JW said...

Actually it depends on how good you think the first Big Momma's House 2 was. Becaus it's actually BMH^2 good.

6:49 PM

 
Blogger JW said...

You know, I think I've talked about Big Momma's House 2 too often, because I get comments on completely unrelated posts. *AND* I respond to them.

9:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not see any section in your blog completely devoted to Big Mammas House. Therefore, I do not believe we have completely covered this topic. Have you ever been to Wisconsin? It completely reminded me of BMH1 and 2. You betcha it did. How a about Martin Lawrence in a Packer jersey on a Harley on his way to pick up a butter burger. Now that would be acting

7:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

9:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home