Movie Rantings and Ravings

Saturday, March 04, 2006

The "Independent" Spirit Awards

Wow, I don't think this awards show has ever matched nomination and (probably winner) wise with the Oscars ever before. It is literally all the same movies. Which is a shame because this is supposed to recognize stuff that gets ignored everywhere else (Garden State for example, got a best first feature award last year).

What is great about this show is that it is aired on IFC, so people can (and do) say whatever they want, the jokes are actually funny, and for every movie nominated for best picture, someone comes on and does a parody song for the film. I gotta say that Peter Gallagher's song for Brokeback Mountain was hilarious and maybe the only *good* joke about the movie I've seen or heard all year.

Note that there are certain eligibility requirements, so things like The Constant Gardener, Munich, Syriana, Cinderella Man, and Walk the Line were not eligible, so some potential winners might not match up. But since EVERY SINGLE WINNER is nominated for an Oscar (that has to be the first time it has ever happened), you never know.

Best Picture
Won: Brokeback Mountain

I would've voted for The Squid and the Whale.

Best Director
Won: Ang Lee -- Brokeback Mountain

I would've voted for Noah Baumbach for The Squid and the Whale.

Best Actor
Won: Phillip Seymour Hoffman -- Capote

I would've voted for Jeff Daniels for The Squid and the Whale, although I think it's a supporting part, really.

Best Actress
Won: Felicity Huffman -- Transamerica

I would've voted for Laura Linney for The Squid and the Whale, but again I think that's more of a supporting part.

Best Supporting Actor
Won: Matt Dillon -- Crash

I would've voted for Jessie Eisenberg for The Squid and the Whale, but this one I think is actually a lead role.

Best Supporting Actress
Won: Amy Adams -- Junebug

I completely agree with this one!

Best Screenplay
Won: Dan Futterman -- Capote

I would've voted for Noah Baumbach for The Squid and the Whale. Note that there isn't separate adapted and original categories here.

Can you tell I think The Squid and the Whale got robbed here? It was my third favorite movie of the year after all. This is the kind of movie that SHOULD be sweeping this awards show. In another year when the entire Oscar nominee slate weren't low budget movies it would have.

Now, the "lesser" awards

Best First Screenplay
Won: Duncan Tucker -- Transamerica

Puke. Angus McLachlan should've won for Junebug

Best First Feature (for first film by a producer or director)
Won: Crash

I agree with this one too.

Best Cinematography
Won: Good Night and Good Luck

Again, I agree.

Best Foreign Film
Won: Paradise Now

Considering that I haven't seen any of the nominees I don't really have a comment.

Best Documentary
Won: Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

I would've voted for Grizzly Man.

You can see the nominees here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home