Movie Rantings and Ravings

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Awards Will/Should/Can't/Etc and the 6 Year Phenomena

Okay, my obligatory will win/should win/can't win post for the year:

Note that should win is based of course on the actual nominees, and for should have been nominated I have only included things that actually had a chance at it. For example there was no way The New World was ever going to get a best picture nomination.

Also, as far as should have or should nots go, I'm only picking one for each category.

Best Picture
Will win: Brokeback Mountain
Should win: Brokeback Mountain
I'm rooting for: Brokeback Mountain
Should have been nominated: The Constant Gardener
Should not have been nominated: Munich

Best Director
Will win: Ang Lee -- Brokeback Mountain
Should win: Ang Lee -- Brokeback Mountain
I'm rooting for: Ang Lee -- Brokeback Mountain
Should have been nominated: Fernando Meirelles -- The Constant Gardener
Should not have been nominated: Steven Spielberg -- Munich

Best Actor
Will win: Phillip Seymour Hoffman -- Capote
Should win: Heath Ledger -- Brokeback Mountain
I'm rooting for: Phillip Seymour Hoffman -- Capote
Should have been nominated: Ralph Fiennes -- The Constant Gardener
Should not have been nominated: No one sticks out as being particularly undeserving to me. Pick any one of them and boot them out for Ralph Fiennes and I'd be happy.

Note: While I think Heath Ledger was better than Phillip Seymour Hoffman, I don't think he gave the best performance in his own movie, and I happen to have liked PSH in many other movies so I kind of hope he wins for this as he's due for something by now.

Best Actress
Will win: Reese Witherspoon -- Walk the Line
Should win: Keira Knightley -- Pride and Prejudice
I'm rooting for: Keira Knightley -- Pride and Prejudice
Should have been nominated: Naomi Watts -- King Kong
Should not have been nominated: Judi Dench -- Mrs. Henderson Presents

Best Supporting Actor
Will win: George Clooney -- Syriana
Should win: Jake Gyllenhaal -- Brokeback Mountain
I'm rooting for: Paul Giamatti -- Cinderella Man
Should have been nominated: Jeff Daniels -- The Squid and the Whale
Should not have been nominated: Matt Dillon -- Crash

Note: This time my rooting for is different than should win because Paul Giamatti not only not winning, but not even being *nominated*, last year for his spectacular performance in Sideways is one of the worst snubs in Oscar history. I'm still sickened by it. So I wouldn't mind if he had it made up to him.

Best Supporting Actress
Will win: Rachel Weisz -- The Constant Gardener
Should win: Amy Adams -- Junebug
I'm rooting for: Rachel Weisz *or* Amy Adams
Should have been nominated: Maria Bello -- A History of Violence
Should not have been nominated: Frances McDormand -- North Country

Note: I only like Amy Adams' performance slightly more than Rachel Weisz's. I would be happy if either of them wins.

Best Original Screenplay
Will win: Paul Haggis, Robert Moresco -- Crash
Should win: Noah Baumbach -- The Squid and the Whale
I'm rooting for: Noah Baumbach -- The Squid and the Whale
Should have been nominated: Angus McLachlan -- Junebug
Should not have been nominated: Woody Allen -- Match Point

Best Adapted Screenplay
Will win: Larry McMurtry, Dianna Ossanna -- Brokeback Mountain
Should win: Larry McMurtry, Dianna Ossanna -- Brokeback Mountain
I'm rooting for: Larry McMurtry, Dianna Ossana -- Brokeback Mountain
Should have been nominated: Hard to think of something that had a chance here.
Should not have been nominated: Tony Kushner & Eric Roth -- Munich

The writing in Munich, particularly the last third of the movie, and the mis-timed beginning to the lead's change in personality over what he's doing is what prevented the movie from being great. I don't know what should take its place necessarily, but it shouldn't be there.

A note on the 6 year phenomena: I agree with the Oscars based on their nominees once every 6 years. Since I think that Brokeback Mountain should win (based on the nominees only, note that it is actually only my #5 of the year and my first four did not get nominated) it probably will.

The last time I agreed with the Oscars based on the nominees? 1999, American Beauty.

The time before that? 1993, Schindler's List.

I wonder what movie will be coming out in 2011 that will be my next match.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who do you think was the best performer in Brokeback mountain?

8:36 PM

 
Blogger JW said...

Jake G. Michelle Williams had one good scene basically. Anne Hathaway was kinda just... there. The daughter was good but her part wasn't really substantial enough.

3:06 PM

 
Blogger JW said...

It's been a long time since I've seen The Outisders so I'd have to watch it again to see if I agree with you there. But Naomi Watts was brilliant in "King Kong". She can convey more emotion with her facial expressions than most other actors can with great dialogue. It says a lot for her, but usually performances like this (the girl from "The New World" was good in a similar way) generally get ignored. Unless the sublety is a gimmick, like when Samantha Morton got nominated for playing a mute person in "Sweet and Lowdown".

11:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I agree that Jake G was better than Heath Ledger. Both were great.
I personally cannot stand Anne Hathaway. but I thought her one scene after her husband dies, when she is talking to Heath L on the phone was pretty incredible.

8:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home