Movie Rantings and Ravings

Friday, April 28, 2006

S-A-P-P-Y and F-O-R-M-U-L-A-I-C

Akeelah and the Bee (2/5 stars)

I didn't like this movie at all.

Take the most cheesy against all odds inspirational movie you've ever seen and multiply it by a factor of ten.

1) Protagonist starts off in a bad situation? Check.
2) Reluctant Goal? Check.
3) Various random obstacles thrown at them which they overcome? Check.
4) Egregious overusage of montages? Check.

I almost broke out laughing in the middle of it because I was reminded of the "montage" song from "Team America: World Police". Look! It is Akeelah, studying in various outfits and locations, so now we know that she is trying hard to learn how to spell over a long period of time! Look! Akeelah studies with various different people, we see she has the support of her community! Queue shots of people applauding when words are spelled correctly!

Finally, this is the funniest:

5) Cheesy freeze-frame happy ending shot? Check.

Not to mention, I called (not gonna say what it is) the end of the movie as soon as I saw the first example of the relationship between two of the peripheral characters. Sigh.

Now I've got something to put on my "most overrated" list for the year, though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow are you taking a contrarian view on this movie. I have not seen it yet, but the preview made me think that it was another Rocky-Spelling-Bee movie. Then I start to see reviews and think there may be an angle or twist to this movie. Why do you suppose all the critics (even the cynical ones like Roeper) are jumping on the bandwagon? It's not as though this is the first feel-good formula movie to come along.

9:06 AM

 
Blogger JW said...

I have no idea why the critics are jumping on this movie. And I just don't like feel-good formula movies so I find it necessary to call BS on it when it is getting such ridiculous overrated reviews.

10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home