Movie Rantings and Ravings

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Random Thought of the Day

You know, for all the talk about Crash being an undeserving Best Picture winner, and I'm *still* hearing about it, and now even I'm sick of it even though I agree, I had a thought.

Worse decisions have been made before. What is the worst Best Picture winner of all time? Certainly not Crash. I can only really speak for 1960 onward here as I have not seen all the winners before that, but (drumroll please)....

Driving Miss Daisy (1989) -- Best Picture

This is easily the worst piece of dreck that has ever received the award. It didn't even get a *nomination* for Best Director. I think that that situation has happened maybe, three times in Oscar history that I know of. And was Driving Miss Daisy supposed to be a very challenging movie about racial issues? This is where you're supposed to gag profusely.

A partial list of what was better than Driving Miss Daisy (actually considering that I do not even like the movie, I could name off many of the years' releases, but just to make a point) from 1989:

Born on the Fourth of July
Cinema Paradiso
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Dead Poets Society
Do the Right Thing
Drugstore Cowboy
Field of Dreams
Glory
My Left Foot
Roger & Me
Say Anything
sex, lies, and videotape

I'm sure there are many more. My personal choice would be Do The Right Thing (not even nominated, incidentally), but you know? Maybe this year wasn't so bad after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger JW said...

You're right.. you can't forget those last two. Shame on me for not thinking of them.

I was just shocked at how bad it is for a BP winner. Not that what should win ever really does, but what actually does win is rarely a *bad* movie. This is one of the exceptions. This and Chariots of Fire. And, well, I'm not going to name them all off. (:

2:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home